02 December 2010

Hope

Biblical hope is life changing certainty about the future . . . being certain about the future in a way that affects how you live now. -Tim Keller

Hope. In English, hope is an empty thought without knowing the future. I can "hope" to live a long happy life, raise many children and see them grow into successful adults with children of their own, but I have no promises to this effect. In my life I have met self-proclaimed modern day "prophets." I have been told things about my life that were not and are not true and was even encouraged once to break my glasses and throw away my contacts in faith as God would heal my eyesight. I lived for two months with horrible vision. In a foreign country. In the end I learned God is not a performer for man's desires but for his own, and I purchased new glasses.

I recently contacted the family I stayed with during my "blind" adventures. I shared our struggles having a child and what God is teaching us. The response? A sure promise that we would have a child within the year. I still do not know how I should feel about my friend's "prophesy." Did he hear from God and thus shared encouragement, or was he giving English "hope" with no guaranteed outcome? I may never know for sure.

What have I, then to hope in? What promises can I trust?

I can hope in the promises of God. He has made a covenant to never leave me or forsake me. He plans to prosper me and not to harm me; His plans give me a hope and a future.

Psalm 33 proclaims:

The king is not saved by his great army;

A warrior is not delivered by his great strength.

The war horse is a false hope for salvation;

and by its great might it cannot rescue.

Behold, the eye of the Lord is on those who fear him,

on those who hope in His steadfast love,

that He may deliver their soul from death

and keep them alive in famine.

Our soul waits for the Lord;

He is our help and our shield.

For our heart is glad in Him,

Because we trust in His holy name.

Let your steadfast love, Oh Lord, be upon us,

Even as we hope in you.


I hope in God.

22/365

No comments:

Post a Comment