They that wait upon the Lord will renew their strength... Isaiah 40
I wrote the end of this chapter on our bathroom mirror, looking forward to a difficult weekend at work with my car in the shop. Drew has been in school and not working for a full year. Each time we got a bit ahead, something would go wrong. We would receive financial aid only to be told we did not qualify (and it was too late to set up a payment plan for a $1200 bill). But we did it. Drew finished! He is a real, bonafide nurse!
And what should happen, but my car breaks down.... They that wait on the Lord.... Yes, He will renew my strength. He'd better, because I have nothing left! I'm so over this season. I am so ready to not worry about how to pay my mortgage. We made it, with minimal debt and good credit scores... only to increase our credit card limit to pay for a new timing belt.
It gets deeper: I pick up my car to be told there is a large crack in the radiator, and the battery will not hold a charge so I need to be jumped to drive the car off the lot. ::Allow me to mention here that I know little to nothing about cars or about how completely wrong it is for a mechanic's shop to send a broken car home. They also charged me $50 more than was quoted to Drew. Can we say shady?:: Anyhow, we are almost there, at the edge of the season, about to pay everything off and save up to replace our cars BEFORE they break down, and our "reliable" car is dying.
We decided to sell my Mitsubishi and try to make it through the winter with our old Jeep. If you've ever owned a Jeep, they could make it to 300,000 miles, or they could blow up tomorrow. Ours is 12 years old with 140k. Drew loves cars and starts shopping around - but we cannot afford anything worth buying, and I am not willing to take on another payment at this point. We discuss the car with family and friends, seeking wisdom and advice.
BUT GOD. Oh yes, this is what you're waiting for.... But God showed up! Drew's aunt and uncle have the means and the heart to give us a car. Let me say that again: Aunt Laura and Uncle Vincent are giving us a 2006 Chevy Equinox. Whaaaaaaaat? Who does that? Who just gives their nephew and his wife a nice car with new tires, breaks, and struts (and leather heated seats, mind you!) But God. And this is our testimony all through school, too. Financial aid would be rescinded the week before our tax return came in. An unexpected bill would arrive, and work would call to see if I could work extra for crisis pay. Time and again, our needs have been taken care of.
I want to be that Aunt - and not just to my niece. I want to be the person who can help, who is aware and able to bless others. I pray as our finances change that we do not get carried away in what we "need," but rather that we are good stewards of God's gifts.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment